Thanks to funding from Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), Genesis Project has, on the beginning of January 2006, initiated implementation of humanitarian-educational project «Humanization of relationship between two sexes – Gender Equality Education in primary schools in Bosnia and Herzegovina».
Implementation of this project lasted during II semester of school 2005/2006. year in 6 primary schools in Republika Srpska and in 4 primary schools in Una-Sana canton, in Federation of BiH (in total we will target 10 schools). Implementation finished on May 31st 2006.
Project was composed from following activities:
- Development of “Gender equality brochure for peer-educators and schoolteachers”.
- Educational workshops with peer-educators on topic «Humanization of relationship between two sexes – Gender Equality Education». Each workshop had 10 participants – future peer-educators (pupils from sixth and seventh grades) and workshop lasted one school hour (once a week). In total educated 208 peer-educators, from 10 primary schools, who than continued to promote gender equality in their schools and among their peers.
- Activities of integration and affirmation of peer-education, with goal of promotion of peer-educators and affirmation of their role as future transferors of gained knowledge.
- Training sessions with schoolteachers from primary schools (8 schoolteachers from each school) focusing on selected topic. In total we educated 81 schoolteachers from 10 primary schools, with goal of raising their gender equality awareness and level of their involvement in activities of gender equality.
- Evaluation activities with goal of evaluation of quality of new knowledge, on project selected topics.
Goal of this project is education of children about topic «Humanization of relationship between two sexes – Gender Equality Education» that will lead toward removing negative attitudes and prejudices, among children, about gender equality. All educational activities, part of this project, are organized and realized before or after regular school hours and have not, in any way, affected regular school activities.
Genesis Project has obtained necessary approval for project implementation from Republika Srpska Pedagogical institute – Ministry of education and culture of Republika Srpska and from Cantonal ministry of education, science, culture and sport – Una-Sana canton in Federation of BiH.
Schools in which we implemented this project are:
- «Petar Petrović Njegoš» Banja Luka, Republika Srpska
- «Dositej Obradović» Banja Luka, Republika Srpska
- «Vojislav Ilić» Krupa na Vrbasu, Banja Luka, Republika Srpska
- «Jovan Dučić» Zalužani, Banja Luka, Republika Srpska
- «Desanka Maksimović» Trn, Laktaši, Republika Srpska
- «Branko Ćopić»,Prijedor, Republika Srpska
- «I Osnovna škola» Bosanska Krupa, Una-Sana canton, Federation of BiH
- «II Osnovna škola» Bosanska Krupa, Una-Sana canton, Federation of BiH
- «Hasanbeg Čeko Čekić» Sanski Most, Una-Sana canton, Federation of BiH
- «Hasan Kikić» Sanski Most, Una-Sana canton, Federation of BiH
All project educational materials, including brochure “Gender equality for peer-educators and schoolteachers” were developed in close cooperation with Gender centre of Government of Republika Srpska and with Republika Srpska Pedagogical institute – Ministry of education and culture of Republika Srpska. On that way we have ensured that all gender equality messages are correct as well as that they are pedagogically adapted to our target group.
Through this project, in period from January 1, 2006 to May 31, 2006, Genesis Project has reached:
Direct target group:
- 208 children/younger adolescents (7 and 8 grade) participating in gender equality peer-education workshops in 10 primary schools in B&H
- 81 schoolteachers participating in 10 training sessions for sustainable Gender Equality education in selected primary schools
Indirect target group:
- 1325 school children, all pupils of 7 and 8 grade in 10 target schools
- 556 schoolteachers in 10 target schools
- 416 parents of children that participated in peer-education workshops
Outputs, outcomes and impact of the project:
- Increased level of knowledge and awareness, amongst peer-educators about:
a) peer-education skills
b) Gender Equality topics:
- ‘What does it mean to be a man or a woman - our body!’
- ‘Traditional and cultural impact of society on gender issues - Stereotyping and
- ‘What is love? What is sex?’
- ‘Prevention – capability to protect our health, safe sex, contraception’
- ‘Right to be educated and right to work’
- 81 schoolteachers from selected primary schools equipped with knowledge and skills that would allow them to conduct good quality, independent and sustainable Gender equality education in their primary schools.
- 10 gender equality training sessions for schoolteachers fully implemented and realized.
- 240 gender equality workshops fully implemented and realized.
- 208 children participating in peer-education workshops.
- 104 peer educators evaluated (pre-testing and post-testing activities with peer educators in order to rate their Gender Equality knowledge before and after project’s implementation).
- 261 schoolchildren (peer educators classmates) evaluated (pre-testing and post-testing activities with peer educators’ classmates in order to rate their Gender Equality knowledge before and after peer educators have conducted classes with them).
- Significant level of media visibility for CIDA BiH.
Important parts of this project were:
- Evaluation of the questionnaires, conducted during implementation of the project “Humanization of relationship between two sexes – Gender Equality Education in primary schools in Bosnia and Herzegovina”. Goal of this evaluation was to determine changes in attitudes and level of knowledge that occurred in time before and after the educational workshops.
- Research conducted in 39 primary schools during implementation of the project: “Humanization of the relationship between two sexes – Gender Equality Education in primary schools in Bosnia and Herzegovina”. Goals of this research were:
- To determine how family, school, peers and media influence formation of consciousness about gender roles among boys and girls;
- On the basis of received information, determine how we should develop and create future projects focusing on the topic “Humanization of the relationship between sexes”.