What is Genesis Project?
Genesis Project is a local, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization, set up in Banja Luka, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina, in June 1996, with main goals:
- To educate children and adults about child safety and violence prevention, with goal of injuries prevention.
- To educate children and adults about peaceful conflict prevention and resolution.
- To reduce the negative impact that mines, UXO (unexploded ordinances) and SALW (small arms and light weapons) have on children and their communities in BiH.
- To spread the idea of interactive education through live puppet show performances depicting different educational topics (conflict prevention, mine risk education, environmental protection, children rights, prevention of addiction diseases, etc.).
- To educate children and adults about ecology and environmental protection.
- To educate children and adults about gender equality.
- To educate children and youth about healthy life styles.
- To develop and support various co-existence initiatives throughout BiH.
- To help war traumatized children and their families.
In the past, as now, Genesis Project has targeted mainly rural areas of Republika Srpska / Bosnia and Herzegovina, trying to help people in numerous ways, starting with setting up libraries and finishing with puppet show performances for the children. Recently, the majority of Genesis Project activities have been focused equally on the Republika Srpska and Federation BiH territory. Genesis Project staff is comprised of local residents.
In 2010, Genesis Project is funded by UNICEF BiH, World Vision International, Office of International Cooperation of Monaco and Balkan Aid Relief Foundation.
In previous years, the UNICEF, European Commission Delegation to Bosnia and Herzegovina, UNHCR, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), European Commission Brussels through the Dutch foundation “Mala Sirena”, USAID, ECHO, Open Society Fund-Soroš, International Rescue Committee (IRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC), Balkan Aid Relief Foundation (BARF) and The Salvation Army have funded Genesis Project.
Thanks to the understanding from Banjaluka Mayor Mr. Dragoljub Davidović and delegates in City Assembly, Genesis Project was awarded (after 8 years of humanitarian work) with free-of-charge right of use of office space (owned by city Banjaluka). This significantly helped implementation of our current projects and has opened us possibility to implement some new projects.